About Lakshmipur District
History of Origin
Lakshmipur, one of the districts of Greater Noakhali, was a Sub-division of former Noakhali district before1984. Earlier when Noakhali was divided into two Sub-divisions, Lakshmipur was a Thana. Within a short span of time, Lakshmipur became a Sub-division from thana and then a district from Sub-division. Former Noakhali was formed in 1822. Before that some areas were part of former Tippera (Comilla) district, Hatia and Sandwip were part of Chittagong district, and Sudharam, Begumganj, Lakshmipur, Ramganj and Amirgaon areas were under former Noakhali district. It was first formed under a Joint Magistrate with administrative and judicial power. Sudharam was the district Head Quarter and the district was named as 慛oakhali?after 慛aya Khal?(New Canal), running through the middle of the town. Today抯 Lakshmipur is a symbol of history and culture of Noakhali and engaged to keep the unity of greater Noakhali intact. Lakshmipur is well-known in Bangladesh for the production of paddy, jute, betel-nut, coconut etc. But water logging problem acts as a limiting factor in the production capacity this district. There was great possibility of establishing a river port on the bank of the Meghna, which was not materialized. River port in Lakshmipur is still a dream. Besides, there was an attempt to establish a big fertilizer factory in Lakshmipur by the side of the Meghna, but unluckily it was shifted to another district. Thus Lakshmipur has been deprived of having a big industry. Failure to run the 慛oakhali Textile Mills established at Rakhalia has indirectly discouraged the entrepreneurs of Noakhali.
Naming & Formation
Lakshmipur became a Thana in 1860, a Sub-division in 1979 and a District in the year 1984. The total area of Lakshmipur district is 1456 Sq. Km. It is surrounded by Chandpur in the north, Noakhali sadar in the east, the river Meghna in the west & south and Bhola Barisal in the south-west. Lakshmipur is considered by some people as a land of fortune. 慙akshmi?is believed to be the goddess of fortune. Lakshmipur is situated in the meeting place of the Meghna and Bay of Bengal.
There are different opinions among the historians regarding the nomenclature of Lakshmipur.
Lakshmipur thana, sub-division and district town is situated at Banchanagar. Historian Kailash Chandra Singh noted in his book 慠ajmala?that Banchanagar Chakla, Shamserabad Mouza and Lakshmipur Mouza stood side by side. River Rahmatkhali the river Meghna. Shamserabad is situated in the south and flowing through Shamserabad and Banchanagar Chakla met Banchanagar chakla in the north of river Rahmatkhali. Lakshmipur Mouza is situated in the west of the area near Banchanagar Chakla.
Thus it is proved that Lakshmipur was not within Banchanagar Chakla. Rather, Lakshmipur Mouza comprised of in the present west 慙akshmipur village?and adjoining areas. There is a clue to the matter in the history of fleeing of Shah Suja, son of Moghul Emperor Shahjahan to Arakan through this area. On 6 may, 1660 Shah Suja left Dhaka and arrived at Dhapa, 8 miles away from Dhaka. Next day he reached Sreepur. On 8 May he left Sreepur and in the next morning started from Lakshmidaha Pargana and arrived at a place which was 8 miles away from Bhulua. Shah Suja tried to capture the Bhulua Port, but failed. On 12 May, 1660 he reached Arakan. In the story of Shah Suja we get the name of Lakshmidaha Pargana. There is no doubt that this Lakshmidaha is Lakshmipur. In the year 1694 combined forces of Mogh Firingi burnt down Bhulua and Islamabad to ashes. This happened during the time of Subedar Kashim Khan. Generally the Moghs used to attack from the east. So when Islamabad is mentioned next to Bhulua, it can be assumed that Islamabad is situated to the west of Bhulua. As the name of Islamabad fort is mentioned here so it can be said that the fort was at 慘aman Khola? Besides, historian Sir Jadunath Sarker in his observation mentioned that this 慖slamabad?is not the Chittagong Town. It is a port-city west of Bhulua. Dr. Borah presumed Islamabad as Lakshmipur. Of course, this was not the Lakshmipur of to-day. The ancient Lakshmipur was situated on the bank of river Meghna. There is no sign of that portion of Islamabad-Lakshmipur which was engulfed by the river through erosion. For the convenience of administration the then 慙akshmipur?was shifted to Banchanagar Mouza on the bank of river Rahmatkhali. But the name of 慙akshmipur?could not be replaced owing to its popularity. Historian Suresh Chandra Majumder in his research work 慠aj Purush Jogibangsha?narrated about Raja Goura Kishore Roy Chowdhury, the zeminder of Dalal Bazar. His ancestors came to Dalal Bazar during the period 1629-1658. Raja Goura Kishore received the title 慠aja?in 1765 from the East India Company. Some people say that Lakshmipur was named after Lakshminarayan Roy, a descendant of Raja Goura Kishore Roy.
Eminent educationists and talented teachers of Greater Noakhali played a dominant role in the education sector for long. The educationists hailing from Lakshmipur are honored for their outstanding contribution in this sector. The contribution of the scholars from Lakshmipur in the field of education is noteworthy. Some of them have earned reputation at home and abroad. Mention may be made of Dr. Abdul Matin Chowdhury (Bose Professor and former Vice-chancellor of Dhaka University), Dr. A N M Mamtajuddin Chowdhury (the first Vice-chancellor of Islamic University), Dr. Mozaffar Ahmed Chowdhury (former Vice-chancellor of Dhaka University), Dr. M. Mafizullah Kabir (former Pro-Vice-chancellor, Dhaka University), Dr. Mohammad Habibullah (Supernumerary Professor, Dhaka University), Dr. Sirajul Haq (Professor Emeritus, Dhaka University), Dr. Wahidul Haq (eminent economist & former Minister), Kabir Chowdhury (National Professor), Shahid Professor Munir Chowdhury (Dhaka University), Principal Razia Matin Chowdhury (former M P), Tofazzal Hussain (former Principal, Chowmuhani College), Ambika Rakshmit (Principal, Feni College), Syed Abul Kalam Azad (formerly Professor, Dhaka University and now Treasurer, Jatiya University), Dr. Habibur Rahman Chowdhury (Dhaka University), Dr. Shah Alam Kamal (Dhaka University), Principal Hosne Ara Shahed, Hafiz Nesar Uddin Ahmed (founder Chairman, Islamic Culture & Educational Center, London), Dr. Mosleh Uddin (Pro-Vice-chancellor, North-south University), Dr. Mohammad Abdullah (Dhaka University), Dr. Moududur Rahman (Dhaka University), Dr. Munsurul Amin (Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh), Kazi Faruqui (Principal, Dhaka Commerce College), Tofael Ahmed Chowdhury (former Principal, Tejgaon College), Dr. Dildar Hossain (Jahangirnagar University), Professor Nurul Anwar (Principal, New Model Degree College), Dr. Zia-Us-Shams, (Dhaka University), Mozammel Hossain (former Vice-Principal, Adamji Cantt. College & Drama-artist), Momin Ullah Bhuiyan (Principal, Shyamoli Pre-cadet Academy) and Mohammad Mustafizur Rahman (Principal, Noakhali Govt. University College).
Lakshmipur district has got some places which can attract tourists from home and abroad. There are also some shrines (i.e. majars) of saints which are of historic and architectural importance. Ramgati is suitable for development as a tourist centre. The river Meghna joins the Bay of Bengal by the south side of Ramgati Bazar. The scenery is attractive. This is a fine natural sea-beach. A tourist can enjoy the scene of catching hilsha fish at Ramgati.
While visiting Ramgati one can collect sweet-meat and curd made of the milk of buffalo. The charming scene of sun-rise and sun-set can be watched here. The attention of a tourist may be drawn to the scene of boats with multicoloured sails. This is an incomparable scene. Vast afforestation of Forest Department together with green belt of keya tree will also come under sight. In the winter season travelling by boat or launch is quite enjoyable.
The tourist centre which is yet to be established, should be located near Ramgati Bazar so as to enable the tourists to go there by road or river. Security measures must be ensured. The tourist spots should be kept under state protection and should be made attractive. Modern Hotel, Motel & Restaurant should be built for the convenience of the tourists. Ramgati-Sonapur road should be metalled up to inter-district bus terminal. If sea-truck communication with Hatia is established, the tourists could visit Hatia island also.
There are some historical places, mosques and shrines at Lakshmipur which may be visited by the interested tourists. The shrine of great saint Hazrat Miran Shah (R) is situated in the village Kanchanpur of Lakshmipur. Another traditional institution of religious importance Shayampur Daira Sharif is situated at Ramganj for more than two hundred years. Daira Sharif of Ramgatihat attracts religious-minded people of the area. So is the case with Char Alekzander Daira Sharif also. Kamankhola Zemindar Bari of Dalal Bazar is worth visiting. The mosque of Tita Khan, 200 hundred years old, Jame masjid of Raipur (popularly known as Mosque of 'Jin'), Jame Masjid at Kanchanpur Zemindar house (feudal lord ) of 115 years old and Mandari Bazar Mosque are famous for their architectural beauty and thus attract visitors.
|« May 2019 »|
| || || ||1||2||3||4|
Total online: 1